Monday, January 5, 2009

A growing phonetic inventory.

Perhaps, the title gives it away, but I've been working on my research paper now for the past 4+ hours. As a break, I have decided to jot down some of the new things Blake is saying. Of course, he is still repeating words all the time (especially ones you wouldn't want him to repeat). The bigger news is that he is beginning to add new sounds! Lately, he has been trying to add the "s" and "z" sound to words. Last night he said cheese, and it was actually very intelligible. His "s" and "z" aren't perfect yet (and I don't expect them to be for a few more years), but at least he will soon be more understood by others.

Also, within the past week, he has started saying "k" and "g" sounds a lot. Out of nowhere, he will just say, "caw, caw, caw" or "guh, guh, guh". So far, Tony and I have been unable to "trick him into saying a "c"/"k" or "g" word intentionally.

After all my classes on speech and language acquisition, it is awesome to witness firsthand, especially from my own son! He will sometimes try to tell me a word and will end up saying it three times, in three different ways. I can almost see his brain figuring things out and trying to make his mouth work. As excited as I am to watch his progress, it's so funny when he comes up to us and just spouts of strands of jibberish! I'm sure I will miss that!

0 comments: